Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Freddy Krueger, Jason and Wind Chimes

A fun topic of conversation for my extended family during a really terrific Mother's Day on Sunday is how I hate the wind chimes my mom has hanging outside by the backyard patio.  Wanna know why?  Because there is nary a horror movie made where the sound of wind chimes combined with a sweeping panorama of a dark, windy night doesn't spell impending murder. 

Maybe it's Pavlovian.  By themselves, wind chimes seem perfectly innocent.  A little breeze translated into a little music...tra la la.  Repeateldy seeing a person get slashed wide open  after hearing a wind chime tends to change one's perspective on how innocuous that sound is.  Now, when I hear wind chimes, I don't hear music...I hear, "Get the hell out of wherever you are now."

The unwitting victims in many a horror flick seem incapable of figuring out that the guy in the hockey mask with a bloody meat cleaver is not a friendly neighbor who butchered a steak for you.  He's a psychotic murderer who just killed a hot teenager. 

Similarly, many members of my family seem unaware of what those chimes are chimin when the breeze picks up.  It's not music.  It's a serious warning.

Now you all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment